What is Doxycycline?
Doxycycline can be used to treat a variety of infections, including bacterial infections that affect the eyes, nose, throat and respiratory system (chest infections), eye infections, sexually transmitted diseases e.g. chlamydia (doxycycline is first line treatment) and infections of the urinary tract; malaria, fevers associated with lice, fleas and tick bites or diseases spread by animals (e.g. leptospirosis); and in the prevention of traveller’s diarrhoea, scrub typhus, leptospirosis and malaria.
Doxycycline belongs to the tetracycline group of antibiotics.
Warnings and precautions
Do not take Doxycycline
- If you are allergic to doxycycline, a similar medicine or any of the other ingredients of this medicine
- If you are pregnant, trying to become pregnant or breast-feeding
- If you are a child under 12 years old, as tetracyclines can affect growing bones and teeth and can also cause staining and a reduction in the amount of enamel in the teeth
- If you have kidney or liver problems
- If you suffer from a rare disorder called porphyria
- If you suffer from myasthenia gravis (a disease causing muscle weakness)
- If you have SLE (systemic lupus erythematosus)
Avoid strong sunlight or ultra violet light as Doxycycline can make the skin more sensitive. If your skin becomes red and patchy, tell your doctor as he may need to stop treatment.
Talk to your doctor or pharmacist before taking Doxycycline, if you are having tests, such as liver function tests or a urine test, tell your doctor you are taking Doxycycline.
How to take Doxycycline
Generally for treating sexual transmitted diseases, the dose is 100mg twice daily for 7 days
How do I buy Doxycycline online?
You can safely buy Doxycycline online at My Doctor Now. You need to go through an online consultation with a medical doctor before your order will be supplied, this is subject to approval. The online consultation will ensure that it is the right medication for your medical condition.